Description of studies
In brain: Magnetic resonance is applied with different special sequences known as functional:
- Spectroscopy: for the assessment of cellular metabolism, which is particularly useful in the differential diagnosis of tumor lesions.
- Diffusion: for early detection of edema caused by stroke. Perfusion, used for the assessment of adequate vascular supply of the brain parenchyma.
- BOLD: can locate in the brain parenchyma, the different functional areas such as speech, vision, hearing, movement of a limb etc.
- Tractography: let us demonstrate the different neural tracts from the brain parenchyma to the spinal cord.
In dynamic MRI imaging, special studies that apply are:
- Cisternography in the diagnosis of flow dynamics of cerebrospinal fluid.
- Phase contrast for the gradual assessment of the absorption of dye into the pituitary gland to identify or exclude the presence of small tumors.
For the Viscerocranium (Facial bones) and Neck, the structural assessment
Spinal cord, with the difference that it offers special sequences as the:
- Myelographic Effect, for better assessment of the extent of the central canal of the medulla oblongata.
- Gravitational Effect, to simulate the effect of gravity and better evaluation of disc pathology.
For the thorax, the structural assessment:
- Done through a study at a mediastinal level, costal arches and subcutaneous tissue.
For Mammary Glands:
- There is an evaluation of prostheses.
- Capture dynamic and washing out of the contrast dye, confirming suspicious malignant lesions through other diagnosis and Tumor Recurrence.
For the Heart:
- Right ventricle assessment.
- Congenital anomalies.
- Myocardial contractility on both ventricles.
- Detection of infarction and myocarditis.
- And the corresponding degree of extension.
The sequels and special tests applicable in this case are:
As for the Vasculature, the study is applied from the head to the fingertips and the goal is to:
- Detect aneurysms.
- Assess congenital abnormalities.
- Diseases of the vessel wall of auto-immune type, inflammatory and degenerative.
The structural assessment of the abdomen:
- Is done through a study of choice in almost any condition.
- With special sequences:
- For certain regions such as Cholangio Resonance, which is a three-dimensional reconstruction of the bile duct.
- Dynamic Rating absorption and elimination of contrast dye in the urinary system.
- Functional Assessment of renal perfusion.
For the Pelvis, special sequences are:
The assessment of musculo-skeletal system:
- Is done through a study of choice.
- Special sequence: Cartigram to assess cartilage integrity, in regions such as the knee.